Tuesday, October 23, 2007

N95 Journalism for Reporters on the Go

Nokia together with Reuters have come up with a mobile journalism kit (you can make it yourself, just add the ingredients)for reporters on the go. I have tried (Well I am not a journalist either) on my blackberry to do some weblogging. But it is hard, not impossible, with my big fingers. So what is the difference in this kit? what do I get with it? and Finally will it help me?
First of all the phone. This is a Nokia N95 which now comes in three different versions. The original European version that Nokia used for most of the trial. Then there is a the US edition which adds more memory and support for US carrier frequencies. Finally there is the news 8GB version which can store much more music and videos, and for journalists more raw materials space.
Then are the peripherals. One I really like is the bluetooth keyboard that they used. This will make it much easier to enter text-based stories with my fingers. The trial team used the Nokia SU-8W. This folds up and has a bracket to hold the phone.
The team was also supplied with a basic tripod to help in video interviews and a Sony microphone for audio recording and reducing background noise in interviews. The power issues were dealt with Power Monkeys, both basic and Explorer versions from Powertraveller. The Explorer has a solar charging system which was particularly useful in Senegal trial that the team conducted. I think it will be useful anywhere.
Now I think I have some thing that I could blog with!

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin