Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Pinchmedia: Is Apple Allowing Spyware Vendors In App Store?

Does Pinchmedia Spy on you via iPhone Apps?
Pinchmedia seem to be creating waves these days with allegations of spyware apps. I came across a post on one of my favorite blogs, DE-Team Blog about a post about an app related to restaurants and how much of a tip to pay, which uses Pinchmedia enabled app. If you agree to let the app use your location, your location and path info (your actual physical path through your area each time you launch the app) belongs to Pinch Media, Inc. Means these information get uploaded to Pinchmedia servers.
I thought a big deal, until I notced a comment (now the post is updated with this information) that pointed out a bunch on Pinchmedia doings with two other apps.
Camera Zoom & Twitterfon, both pinchmedia enabled iPhone applications, are sending packetful of your information to various servers.
Camera Zoom sends home, your iPhone unique ID, iPhone model, OS version, if the app is cracked/pirated, your iPhone is jailbroken, when you start & stop the app and your current latitude & longitude.
The other, Twitterfon, sends the same information to buncnch more servers.
No wonder PinchMedia analytics did a good job analyzing iPnone apps!
I do not have either of the applications installed and now I know I never will. I will also check if any apps that I am having are Pinchmedia enabled. Wether they are spyware apps or not is for you to decide and you already know what I think.
There are many legitimate apps that will serve the same purpose so when in doubt, step aside.
Read the posts and it might help you to decide.
I Phone Home blog via Dev-Team Blog

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin