An official statement on T-Mobile Community states that a software update for the Samsung Vibrant (SGH-T959 ) is available for download. The good news is that this update will take the Samsung Vibrant from Android 2.1 (Éclair) to Android 2.2 (Froyo). Once upgraded, the phone will have Wi-Fi calling, USB / Wi-Fi tethering capabilities, and various software enhancements.
The update is build number T959UVKA6 also known as KA6. There will be no OTA (over the air) update to Android 2.2, Froyo. If you want it, you need to manually download it to your computer and update using Samsung Kies Mini software package.
According to following official notes, you may opt out from the update (why?) and continue to use the old build, T959UVJFD (aka JFD).
- The upgrade to KA6 is NOT required.
- You may opt out of the upgrade and continue using build number T959UVJI6.
- If you are still using build T959UVJFD (aka JFD), we suggest that you upgrade using this process for various software enhancements.
- Desktop or laptop PC running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7
- An available USB port
- All firewall and antivirus programs should be disabled
- Administrative priveleges required to download and install sofware, including drivers
- The Vibrant device should have a fully charged battery
- USB cable included in the retail box (Note: This may be connected to the customer's wall charger)
- The most current version of Samsung Kies Mini software (see below)
Install Kies Mini
- Download the most recent version of Kies Mini by visiting www.TinyURL.com/KiesMini.