Nokia has released the alpha version of Maemo 5 SDK to developers to give a taste of what is coming out in the future. Even though it is alpha, it seems to have a bunch of new and improved features. According to the Maemo announcement;
The Maemo 5 Alpha SDK comes with new APIs:
- Location API: methods to build location-aware applications.
- City Information: methods to obtain information about cities, including city name, country name, and country code.
- Time management: an interface for handling time change notifications and collect relevant time and time zone information.
- Vibra service: methods for triggering and controlling vibrations.
- Device orientation: respond to changes in orientation and discover current orientation.
Other APIs available in Maemo 4 have been improved and are now available in this SDK release including: Alarm, Address book Access and Data notifications, Account, Battery and Logging development interfaces.