Friday, February 22, 2008

AsteriskNOW 1.0.1

AsteriskNOW 1.0.1 my favorite Asterisk appliance (in software form) since Asterisk@home deviated from the path and began to spy on us, unsuspecting Trixbox users without declaring so. (I have replaced all my Asterisk@home and Trixbox installations, closer to 20 to AsteriskNOW, since that incident even though they have said that it was corrected.) I am also testing out PBX in a Flash by Nerd Vittles. I do not mind using or testing Trixbox on my experimental rigs but when it comes to people who trust me, my customers, I want to be able to say that my work is clean. And that I have given them the best possible solution.After the spying trouble, I had to go to all those people, apologize for giving them faulty solutions and install AsteriskNOW, which was in beta state then.
Since the AsteriskNOW 1.0.1 was released, I have upgraded all my installations to newer version and all are happy campers now. But due to the needs of some of them and support needs, I will have to convert some of them to full blown Asterisk and hand them over to better capable people for support.
Most of the installations are used to VoIP enable legacy PBXs and as VoIP solutions for small ventures that spawn all over bay area. But these startups change for better and have upgraded with Asterisk Appliance from Digium and 3Com. Some have opted to use Asterisk Business Edition, the commercial counterpart of AsteriskNOW.
I have some of these installations also in some of the high end educational institutions and two in very far away lands that I have not physically seen since 2005.
What else could you use AsteriskNOW for totally hip voice mail system with IVR functions. May be for that conference system with developers and clients strewn all over the world.
Yes all those are very possible and have been made really ease with the AsteriskNOW 1.0.1 release.

Since the last beta release there were some addons and updates were added, although not an exhaustive list following stand out the best;

  • Over 1000 updates and improvements to the GUI
  • Updated to Asterisk release 1.4.17
  • Updated to Zaptel release 1.4.8
  • Updated Linux Kernel 2.6.22
  • Polycom phone auto-provisioning
  • Improved package management and update capabilities
  • Open Settlement Protocol
  • The phone provisioning module
You can download the release here and learn more about the release here.
tag: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin