Thursday, January 10, 2008

Did TRIXBOX Trick You?

I was shocked to learn that Trixbox phoned home, delivering more than the version you were using. It seem to have dumped more information based on a request to a remotely-configurable BOT, a software program that can execute certain commands locally once it receives its instructions, any command that Fonality's TrixBox team wanted.
Initially Trixbox tried to brush off the fact but later agreed that it made a mistake! Yes, in my world we do not program mistakes. Since then they have fixed the issue. But it takes more to convince and I am happy for fonality to have more forgiving customers than me.
This is the best part of open source software, if you do not like them, you do not have to stay with it.
I was a fan of Asterisk@home since it's inception and had my doubts when Fonality took over the project. But I was happy for the developer who toiled away for while to get some money in his hand.
I do not know about Fonality folks that much to say if they are crooks or Gents but Nerd Vittles, where I got this news says they are not crooks, so I will take that word. But that is not good enough to make the sour taste go away. For me Fonality have to convince me, very hard, to host my or my clients VoIP with them.
As far as Trixbox goes, I have dropped it and replaced with AsteriskNow. I am also testing Nerd Vittles "PBX in a Flash" which I think is also a viable option.
Thank you Asterisk@home, TrixBox, It was good knowing you. (This is in connection with my personal operations). I will continue to cover information about them as we know we all can change. It is never good to think your customers are stupid.
Also please do not forget to read this post by Philippe at FreePBX, another alternative and one I have been using for a long while.



tag: , , , , , ,

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin