Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Upcoming force in VOIP space, Oracle Corp.

I wrote a few posts ago about Microsoft entering the VOIP space. But another corporation, Oracle corporation is gearing up. It totally remained invisible to me until I read a post by Eric Hernaez over at The Third Screen. He writes about Oracle's 26 acquisitions since January 2005, of which eight have been of companies directly involved in the next-gen telecom space. I will not list them here as I am going to direct you to Eric's post.
I am closely involved with Oracle in my day to day work. And after reading and digesting Eric's article, I can see where Oracle might be going with this. New products that are released from Oracle are more enterprise centric than database centric. Yes all are yet connected to Oracle's flagship, Oracle Database but fringe products are reaching into products that were playground of other companies.
Oracle is becoming more and more of a service delivery company and I do not see a problem with VOIP being a one of those services.
I specially liked something Eric, wrote;
"Eventually, it will be possible to replace the entire switched telecom infrastructure with software and IP devices operating over a broadband packet network. When that happens, it’s hard to see how the traditional network equipment providers (such as Lucent/Alcatel, Nortel and Seimens), all accustomed to generating their bulk revenue by selling proprietary big iron solutions, will be able to keep pace."

Links;
The Third Screen's Eric
Oracle acquisitions



0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin