Saturday, December 02, 2006

Another's view on Business Skype,

Tech Republic has brought up the question "Is Skype ready for the corporate world?" and the answer is different from my views. Deb Shinder has a fair review of the Skype and the business needs. I speak from my heart and look at technicalities added with my dislike of intrusion. Skype intrudes, looks like new OS from Microsoft intrudes, these are my views, does not matter if it is for good reasons, I like the control of my own computer or phone. In any case, It is good hear from some one else how they view the same mountain.
Although my writings seems to be negative towards skype, I do not want to stop anyone from using it. Think of a small startup business with people all over the world or a country. Skype will be a good solution to bring together all people together to chat talk and file transfer. Sacrifice is well worth the returns.
Any way here is the last part of Deb's article. Visit TechRepublic for the complete article.

The Skype experience

The last time I tried Skype, several years ago, I was less than impressed. Voice quality wasn't very good (using a T-1 Internet connection), and calls didn't connect reliably. So I was prepared to be disappointed when I downloaded and installed Skype 3.0.

Instead, I was pleasantly surprised. At almost 14 MB, the download isn't tiny, but the installation went smoothly and only took a few minutes. Over my 15-Mbps FiOS connection, the sound is as good as my landline and better than my Lingo VoIP and cellular lines.

One difference I noted between the consumer and corporate versions was that the former automatically imported my contacts from Outlook, whereas the latter didn't. However, I was able to do so easily by selecting the Import option from the Contacts menu.

I signed up for a SkypeIn phone number to test the feature, and Skype activated the number I selected within 10 minutes. You can request a specific number in your area code, which Skype will assign you if it's available, or you can choose from a list of available numbers.

I was able to immediately make calls from my landline to the new number and leave voice mail. The History tab displays voice mail messages, along with missed calls.
Summary

Is Skype a viable replacement for all of your other corporate phone services? Probably not, if only because of the emergency 911 limitations. But it's becoming more reliable and robust all the time, and the price certainly beats that of other VoIP providers. Skype is certainly an inexpensive way to add extra phone lines, with a whole slew of features that are business-friendly.


Links;
TechRepulic's Deb Shinder

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin