Creative Zii Egg Plaszma
According to YT comment, Plaszma is an open standard development platform designed to let you create customized applications and devices.This platform is the product of substantial investment: US$1 billion and some 10,000 man hours of R&D. Plaszma comprises Plaszma OS, SDK and the full suite of hardware.
Gizmodo reports that the Zii Egg Plaszma is an Android-friendly "handheld computer" that's like an iPod touch.
The device is "something I want to see" for me and most probably will search for more information to see if it warrants me to cough up $399. So far from the press release;
Zii EGG Features and Specifications
- Capacitive 10-point multi-gesture touch display
- 3.5" 320x480 true-colour display
- X-Fi audio processing
- Up to 32GB Internal Flash Storage
- 32MB NOR Flash (Linux Kernel Boot ROM)
- 256MB Mobile DDR RAM
- Supports 720p and 1080p HDTVs via HD cable
- Composite video out
- Dual cameras for high definition photos and movie capture
- - Forward facing VGA camera
- - Rear Facing HD camera
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g
- Hardware GPS receiver
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- Ambient light sensor
- SDHC slot (supports up to 32GB of external SDHC Card)
- USB 2.0 Mini-B (MTP and Charging)
- Universal Docking connector (USB, Audio)
- Headphone socket, built-in speaker and microphone
- Supports Plaszma™ OS and Zii Optimised Android™
- Light weight: 108g
The Plaszma OS is a robust, fully featured multi-tasking Operating System built upon a Linux 2.6 kernel that enables the creation of native and web based applications that are significantly enhanced by the 3D, advanced media and communication capabilities of the ZMS processor and Zii Plaszma Platform.
The Plaszma OS supports a rich set of industry standard APIs that have been optimized by ZiiLABS, with a wide range of multimedia CODECs, powerful video, image and audio playback and recording capabilities and advanced audio processing including a text-to-speech engine. The Plaszma OS also supports a desktop grade Opera® 9.7 browser with Web 2.0 capabilities, 2D graphics, and OpenGL ES 3D graphics, plus a powerful intuitive gesture-based user interface.
The Plaszma SDK is a software development kit that provides all the developer tools, libraries, documentation and sample CODECs needed to create the next-generation of media-rich networked applications.
Plaszma SDK Features and Specifications
- Native C/C++ Development
- Wide range of supported video, image and audio formats
- Cell Framework of industry standard API's and Libraries
- Advanced 2D and vector graphics, compositing and blending
- OpenGL ES 3D graphics
- HD media playback and record framework
- State-of-the-art multi-touch, gesture based user interface
- Adobe® Flash Lite™ 3.1 (available later)
- Internationalization and localization of applications
- Integrated Database
- Network Services and Event management
- Sensor handling, (accelerometer, GPS, ambient light)
A range of market-ready applications such as a music and video player, photo browser, and web browser will be included with the handheld Zii EGG StemCell Computer. Future upgrades to the application suite that will take advantage of the built-in hardware will be made available.
Zii Optimized Android
Zii Optimized Android gives developers the chance to use the familiar Android OS, but with a difference. Harnessing StemCell Computing Technology found on the ZMS-05 Media Rich Processor, Android is now super-charged with seamless 3D graphics and High Definition video playback performance.
Pricing and Availability
A Plaszma SDK Starter Kit is available for immediate purchase at US$399 on www.zii.com. This Starter Kit comes bundled comes with Plaszma OS, Plaszma SDK and the Zii Optimised Android OS.
As an introductory offer, ZiiLABS is offering a 32GB Zii EGG for FREE with the purchase of the Plaszma SDK Starter Kit, limited to one per customer while stocks last.