Friday, February 25, 2011

"Sony Vs Hotz" Geohot Raises Money To Defend Against Sony! And Is Interviewed

"Sony Vs Hotz" http://snapvoip.blogspot.com/
iPhone hacker George “Geohot” Hotz is in the middle of a heated lawsuit "Sony Vs Hotz" with Sony. Geohot “jailbroke” the Sony PS3 and circumvented Sony’s DRM. The ramification of his exploit is that Sony is suing Geohot for “encouraging privacy” on their platform. In that case, making PS3 also should be encouraging piracy?
EFF thinks;

"Simply put, Sony claims that it's illegal for users to access their own computers in a way that Sony doesn't like. Moreover, because the CFAA has criminal as well as civil penalties, Sony is actually saying that it's a crime for users to access their own computers in a way that Sony doesn't like."
Once you are at EFF, please also read Related Issues: Coders' Rights ProjectDMCAFree SpeechInnovationTerms Of (Ab)Use
Yes if this continues, one day it might become illegal to upgrade memory in your SONY computer. Buying a computer, having an internet connection also can be constitutes to "Promoting Piracy" if SONYs reasoning holds. But INAL so don't count me on anything, I am just voicing my mind, why I would not buy anything sony, too bad considering all the sony stuff I have (Sony you just lost a sale, I decided to go with Apple 17 Macbook Pro.)
Even Geohot is pretty civil about it, even after the lawsuit broke out he went out and bought A Sony Xperia phone, used I might add, but I will not do that, It is just too tiring to hear and follow Sony's whims. I will find a good racing game on another platform.
Boycott Sony, yes, I don't want moronic tyrant, I'd rather buy from a creative tyrant!:)
Geohot also found a Boycott Sony campaign spawning on the net!. I disconnected my PS3 from the net and the only thing I use it for Playing GT5 and watching Blueray movies in the room. If need updates, I will get it manually.
Also with mounting pressure, Geohot had to resort to ask for help on the net and he did get help, I guess in abig way, his request was the top SONY news on Google
And  Geohot closed the first round of donations because he got what he needed for his defense at the moment;

Thank you so so much for all of your help, things are looking up money wise.
Expect to see a few more lawyers on my responses!
I have enough to cover my legal fees for the time being.
And in the absolute worst case scenario, we don't want Sony getting it :-P

For now, the best thing you can do is spread the word
Let people know how Sony treats customers
Let people know Sony would rather sue than be proactive and try to fix the problem
Let people know about laws like the DMCA which stifle innovation, and don't do anything to fix the problems they were created to solve
Then as things got famous, he got interviewed, I watched it live and for those who missed, here is the video;

Finally I wish all this come to a best resolution for all and hope Sony learns how to do PR.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin