New Greenpois0n tool for Mac OS X, by Chronic dev team, Greenpoison (gp_mac_rc5_b3) has been released. This jailbreak is for most apple devices with iOS 4.2.1 firmware and enables untethered jailbreak With an untethered jailbreak you won t have to jailbreak your device every time you want to restart it.
As per instructions, just plug your device to Mac, perform a clean iOS 4.2.1 restore and then jailbreak it using Greenpois0n tool.
After the device restarts, tap on the Loader app and let it do the needful. Just in case you can’t get Cydia package manager working, you can use redsn0w 0.9.7 to install it by unchecking rest of the options.
Also take note that the exploit used in this jailbreak has been fixed by Apple in it's iOS 4.3 beta seeds, mean this will not work with iOS 4.3. So do not upgrade to new iOS 4.3 when it arrives.
The release is available from greenpois0n.com
From Release notes;
*** greenpois0n 1.0 RC5 ***
Description of the software:
greenpois0n will Jailbreak your iDevice.
> Supported iDevices:
- iPod Touch 2G (all bootroms)
- iPod Touch 3G
- iPod Touch 4G
- iPad 1G
- iPhone 3Gs (all bootroms)
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4 Verizon (_not_tested_)
- ___AppleTV 2___ (support will be added in RC6)
> Requirements (check this !)
- a supported device (see above)
- the device should run iOS 4.2.1. Please check on the device in the Settings -> General -> About page.
If your device is running an older version, please upgrade iOS first using iTunes.
*** If you want to SIM Unlock, preserve your baseband using TinyUmbrella ***
At least MacOSX 10.5
- OSX in a VM won't work
- a working internet connection
> Notes (checks this also !)
- if your device is jailbroken with iPhone Dev Team's Monte, please restore to fresh 4.2.1. first
- if Cydia doesn't show up after Loader, you may need to reboot the device
- this version of greenpois0n doesn't include a patched activation system. You'll need to activate your device using iTunes
- WE DO NOT SUPPORT PIRACY !
1. plug the device to your computer using the USB cable
2. quit iTunes if it shows up
3. start greenpois0n.app
4. follow instructions
5. the device will boot a 1st time with verbose text on screen. This operation will install the jailbreak on the device.
6. the device will reboot normally
7. start the Loader application (green icon on the SpringBoard), and follow instructions to install Cydia
In case of troubles
1. try to start greenpois0n from a terminal : sudo ./
as It'll give you more informations on the reason of the problem
2. check if somebody had the same issue : http://jailbreakqa.com/
3. join us on IRC : irc.chronic-dev.org #greenpois0n
greenpois0n public source repositories will be updated soon
Credits (alphabetical order)
Chronic-Dev Team (follow us on twitter):
- AriX : @AriX
- chronic : @chronic
- DHowett : @DHowett
- jan0 : @0naj
- Jaywalker : @Jaywalker9988
- OPK : @iOPK
- pod2g : @pod2g
- posixninja : @p0sixninja
- semaphore : @notcom
- westbaer : @westbaer
Greetings: chpwn, comex, geohot
Donations are always greatly appreciated and will permit to buy new devices to make tests for future jailbreaks. ( http://www.greenpois0n.com )