SIP/SIMPLE and XMPP share a lot of concepts but at the same time they differ in many aspects. At the same time, both these protocols are the leading medium for voice, video, IM and Universal convergence. The unified Communication that many are touting today is the interconnection between these mediums of communications and creating a medium bringing users together via many a paths.
There have been many a workshops for SIP and XMPP but most of the time they were held separately and the users needed to bring the knowledge together as needed. But you have a chance see both these protocols, SIP/SIMPLE and XMPP at a single workshop. The workshop aims to bring together people with large expertise in both protocols, interested in development, testing and deployment of IP/SIMPLE-XMPP solutions. Innovation, being the top mantra, the participants will be able to learn test and innovate and finally bring open source projects to private or public enterprises.
The SIP / SIMPLE-XMPP Developer Workshop 2008
Date: September 2-5, 2008
Place: INRIA, Paris, France
- Philippe Sultan, INRIA - contributor to the XMPP/Jingle support in Asterisk, member of XMPP Standards Foundation
- Olle E. Johansson, Edvina - main SIP developer of Asterisk
- Daniel-Constantin Mierla. Asipto - co-founder Openser, developer of XMPP/Jabber gateway
- kick up simple-xmpp interoperability
- identify common issues of simple-xmpp interoperability
- define best-practice solutions and workarounds of delicate issues
- coding sessions in existing applications such as Asterisk, Openser, Jabberd, Freeswitch, eJabberd, libraries, client applications, etc.
- testing sessions
- reports about past experiences and results of the workshop
- developers of simple-xmpp products
- people interested in testing simple-xmpp products
- people interested in building simple-xmpp communication environments
- free registration (everybody pays for its traveling and accommodation)
- via e-mail at email@example.com
- please write the motivation to participate and add bullets into agenda if you like to approach new subjects. The organizers reserve the right to select a group of people that will contribute most as this is mainly a workshop to approach issues, test interoperability and design new solutions.
- updates about the event are posted at: http://www.asipto.com/index.php/simple-xmpp-developer-workshop-2008/
- up to 20 people
As of Jul 15, 2008, participating companies are:
- INRIA - http://www.inria.fr - SIP-XMPP interoperability in Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org)
- Edvina - http://www.edvina.net - SIP-XMPP interoperability in Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org)
- AG Projects - http://www.ag-projects.com - MSRP-XMPP Interoperability (http://www.msrprelay.org)
- Asipto - http://www.asipto.com - SIP-XMPP interoperability in Openser (http://www.openser.org)