Monday, June 11, 2007

From Joost to Babelgum, IPTV is getting better!


VoIP IP Telephony @ http://snapvoip.blogspot.com
Today I tested out Babelgum and the first impression is, it is not just for chewing and throw out! This looks like a keeper. At first I was reminded of Joost but that thought disappears as soon as you start to look in to innards of the program.
As usual I had to specifically allow my firewall to reach Babel networks. The version is still beta but the file version number is 1.0.0.1 ans product version number is 1.0.9.1. It also tells me that the program language is Italian. We it tells me more but need to read EULA or rules before posting more information. Pretty neat firewall eh!
Once set up and registered, I was presented with a initiative interface that you see in the image above. The usage setup and exploration could be done without a manual. I have added fourt item, based on tags voyage,explore to the default menu choice in the middle. Once you get used (in just a few minutes!) you will be longing for more videos.
Another thing I noticed is that the Babelgum is pretty good with memory. It used about 75MB and kept to that amount through out the operation. Joost used to mushroom into about 400MB during a similar session. I think that was the only negative feed back I had for Joost.
You can sign off from BabelGum but the program keeps the channels open and I see very little activity in the network. Seems like a well behaved P2P program.

My firewall says BabelGum opened 6 Channels; two outbound, two inbound and two listen channels. But the 7th channel, an out bound one, kept popping up. Seems to be clean.

You will hear more about the BabelGum from me and my testing. You can test yourself by visiting their site and joining the beta program. They also have a very informative Blog. If you need an invite, leave a comment.

Until I edit the template; Babelgum


0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin