Saturday, June 30, 2007

FON routers thrown to a lake, literally


Why are people "moving" their FON routers into the lake? It's because of a clever idea - or so it seemed: let people "earn" 15 minutes of free Internet time on the FON Wi-Fi network by watching adverts.
According to a post on Register,

A FON user, Claudi, kicked off the protest on the FON discussion boards:I just realized that fon allows 15 minutes of free surfing on my personal fonera without prior asking for my permission.
I found out that ANYONE can use those 15 minutes for anonymous surfing - when opening the free account any faked email address can be used. 15 minutes is a long time and nobody can control what an anonymous user is able to do in that time on my router. I do have safety concerns and do not agree to this and therefor moved my fonera virtually into a lake near Madrid: http://maps.fon.com/?lt=40.5423736000&ln=-3.78993988000&zm=14

May be all those users should follow “FON Router Hacking Guide” done by uselesshacks.com and use it for something usefull, rather than parking in a lake. I am sure most of these will do so unless FON does something to soothe them.

Does the contracts hold if one side breaks the original agreement? I am not a lawyer, heck I have not even read the FON contract!


So Do things right and stay away from trouble.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin