The Asterisk Development Team has released the latest and the greatest (so far) version of Asterisk
1.8.0. This release could be downloaded from Asterisk.org.
Asterisk 1.8 is the much anticipated version in the major release series of Asterisk. It will be a Long Term Support (LTS) release, similar to Asterisk 1.4. The Asterisk versions page has more information about support time lines for Asterisk releases,
The release of Asterisk 1.8.0 development has been supported by over 500 reporters, more than 300 testers and greater than 200 developers.
You can find a summary of the work involved with the 1.8.0 release in the Asterisk 1.8.0 sumary.
Some of the features that comes with the new Asterisk includes:
- Secure RTP
- IPv6 Support in the SIP channel driver
- Connected Party Identification Support
- Calendaring Integration
- A new call logging system, Channel Event Logging (CEL)
- Distributed Device State using Jabber/XMPP PubSub
- Call Completion Supplementary Services support
- Advice of Charge support
- Much, much more!
For a full list of changes in the current release candidate, please see the ChangeLog: