Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Asterisk and Open Telephony Conference

VoIP IP Telephony @ http://snapvoip.blogspot.com
What can I say about this statement by Sean Michael Kerner, "The Future of Open Source VoIP is Asterisk 1.6"
I do not think that the whole future of VoIP lies on Asterisk. But a part of it will be. Asterisk has already made a big stir in the world of VoIP and IPPBX's. Specially the SMB's and even individual house holds use Asterisk for their telephony uses. I have total of four Asterisk servers running at any time. One is in my office which is actually my secretary! One at my Campus office, one at my home and the fourth for my development and experiments. This in addition to evangelical work I have done and promoted small business to use it.
I usually try to educate users to manage their own Asterisk servers rather than relying on me. I introduce them to all the online support tools and people who really need hand holding I direct them to Digium's commercial support. But most of them realize that Asterisk is not rocket science. People who were afraid of Linux, smile once they see how easy it is to manage the Asterisk server running on Linux. That is mostly
AsteriskNOW.org and AsteriskNow. But all I can say is, with proper care and attension, Aterisk will grow in you while, at the same time being there when ever you need it.

Now back to the article,
The following staments; "

As part of the development process, Asterisk developers have overhauled how they deal with security issues. Fleming boasted that security issues are handled by a core team that address issues 24 to 48 hours from the initial report.

There is also now a formal Asterisk Project Security Advisory reporting system that will provide full disclosure into reported issues and what Asterisk is doing to fix issues.

Fleming admitted that Asterisk hasn't done a great job of making users aware of security advisories, but the new effort is an attempt to do better.

"One of the benefits of open source is that there are more people using our code and a lot more people looking at our code and telling us when things are wrong," Fleming said.

"No one gets to look at the code for Nortel's systems and there are probably just as many vulnerabilities there but you only hear about it when it gets exploited.""

There it summarizes all I wants, Security! Right Now first thing I advise to install together with Asterisk is a firewall. But still we have had issues with security.

Thank Sean, for making me think! I think Asterisk has a great future. We need to scale it higher.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin