Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Skype gives a lame answer for bios dump saga and You can, remove skype, if needed

VoIP IP Telephony @ Snapvoip.blogspot.com



The much debated about Skype BIOS dump that many people has written about, including me;VOIP IP Telephony: Skype dumps you BIOS info and sends home!
Has brought out an answer from Skype. Sorry we did it for DRM! Bummer!! (it is still called intrusion) The users found out. I found out at VOIPSA blog (and VOIPSA is still more kind to Skype than me. So if you feel bad about what I write, read his article! a link to the article is below), that Skype has provided a answer and a solution. But it is still lame.
It would have been much cleaner had you mentioned that before users found out. Remeber SONY root kit saga. People never seem to learn.
Kurt Sauer also provided the simple solution - upgrade to the latest Skype 3.0 version, 3.0.0.216, where they now use a version of this framework that no longer reads the BIOS.
So Kurt, What DO you read now?

Anyway if anyone feels that they need to remove skype, I have given a link to one of my former articles below.
Also another method is to run it on a Virtual Machine like I do. So Kurt what did my reading give you?
May be running it as a portable application might confuse Skype, run it at least on two three computers. Follow the links.

VOIPSA's "How to avoid Skype 3.0 reading the BIOS of your system"

Remove Skype or Uninstall Skype

Skype's explanation about BIOS dump

Skype's promise that they seemed have forgotten

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin