At the ASTRICON concluded yesterday, Stefan Öberg, Skype Telecom and Skype for Business, Vice President, introduced the Skype for Asterisk Beta. It is an add-on channel driver module that integrates Skype calling with Asterisk based Telecom products. I managed to have a glimpse of the product on the AstriCon Floor.
He elaborated that the beta version of Skype For Asterisk will let us to:
- Make, receive and transfer Skype calls with multiple Skype names from within Asterisk phone systems, using existing hardware.
- Complement existing Asterisk services with low Skype global rates.
- Save money on inbound calling solutions such as free click-to-call from a website, as well as receive inbound calling from the PSTN through
- Create virtual offices, Global Presence all over world using Skype’s online numbers.
- Manage Skype calls using Asterisk applications such as call routing, conferencing, phone menus and voicemail.
So if you have an interest in Asterisk and Skype, you can apply to join the Skype for Asterisk beta programme.