Most people opt for subsidized mobile phone because it is several hundred dollars cheaper than the unlocked version. They always comes with contracts that force people to stay with the chosen carrier for a term period, usually 2 years.
But I always get unlocked phones and I can switch carries as I want as I have SIMs from a few different carriers and when I travel out side of USA, I get a now SIM from the new country that works with my phone(s).
Even if you do not travel much, you get the chance to pick the best carrier for where you live, and match it to the best phone you love. And if a new tower shows up in your neighborhood, with all the bars filled, you just switch the carrier.
Anyway I was following BalckBerry Blog and there is a post telling you how to change the SIMs and activate on different carriers. Currently BlackBerry is having a deal on unlocked BalckBerries, like BlackBerry z30 ($299), BalckBerry Q10 ($199) and BlackBerry Q5 ($159) from ShopBlackBerry.com. That is like 55% discount on some.
Anyway here is how you change the SIM on various BlackBerries.
- From the bottom of your BlackBerry device, pull up the back cover.
- With the metal contacts pointing toward the back of the device, insert the SIM card into the slot on the left side of your device.
- To insert the SIM card, slide it into place as shown in one of the following images.
- To remove the SIM card, using gentle pressure, slide it out.
- Tip: Start by pushing the SIM card out from one end, then place your thumb on the top of the other end.
- To insert the SIM card, slide it into place as shown.
- To remove the battery door, press and slide down the battery door.
- To remove the SIM card, using gentle pressure, slide it out.Tip: Start by pushing the SIM card out from one end, then place your thumb on the top of the other end.
- Open the door on the left side of your device.
- Insert the SIM card.
- Press the door back into place.
There more information on this link.