Monday, September 14, 2009

DataLiberation.org: Liberate your data! A Google Effort

Nowadays we all have our stash of data online and it is harder to move them about, just like moving houses. But when I read a post by Google Data Liberation Front (No it is not in Eastern block but Chicago!) I realized that moving data is worse than house moves!
Imagine you want to move out of your apartment. When you ask your landlord about the terms of your previous lease, he says that you are free to leave at any time; however, you cannot take all of your things with you - not your photos, your keepsakes, or your clothing.  Clearly an attempt to keep you forever!
GDLF, already have liberated data from over half of all Google products, from Blogger (where I am blogging for last five years), Gmail (where I have been emailing from April of 2004!), and Google developer tools including App Engine (Where my team hammer out bunch od code).
The team also plans to liberate Google Sites and Google Docs (batch-export) in near future.
Go see how free your data is at dataliberation.org, and you can follow GDLF on Twitter, @dataliberation.
I hope some day I can take my Google Voice Phone Number too! to where ever I please.

Google Public Policy Blog: Introducing DataLiberation.org: Liberate your data!

http://snapvoip.blogspot.com/

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin