Friday, March 14, 2008

Free Calls With SIP Proxies, Asterisk, And A Bit of FreePBX.

Update: added missing link to NV
Connect for free, talk forever, pay nothing.

Nerd Vittles (NV) always surprise me one way or another. Today it is SIP Proxies. Last time I looked into Asterisk SIP proxy was when a client needed me to consult on firewalled Asterisk. As the link suggests, I used SIPproxD for that purpose. I think it is still a good solution for firewalling or masquerading an Asterisk Server.
Then there is Dundi, (if you do not know what Dundi is read the Asterisk Documentation or wait till NV writes about it, they promised.
It was easy for me to test the NV demo as were were testing PBX in A Flash both here in USA and a far north corner in Japan. We skipped the kick-ass.net and configured our own DNS servers. Followed the instructions and it worked. (Had to correct my own typos a few times, typing English on a Japanese keyboard is always hard)
But as NV mentioned, what amazed us was the difference in call quality. Now we will have a permanent SIP proxy serving Japan and USA. You will find NV's Article and instructions here
In addition, we now have IPKall numbers and we know the phones we use has been selected by NV to be the best IP Phone, the Aastra 57i CT.
tag: , , , , , , , ,

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin