Monday, August 13, 2007

VoIP might fly in Virgin Skies! Sir Richard Branson thinks so!!

Engadget’s Paul Miller went went on the inaugural flight of Virgin America airlines, and interviewed Virgin Group chair Sir Richard Branson. But following two answers made me think about call booths on flights! But then again I have to lug my notebook with me! I might end up using the in flight phone, without getting up!

We know internet is in the works for Virgin America, coming in 2008, what about the "dreaded" possibility of in-flight cellphone usage that is so debated currently?


Well, the internet, I'm delighted to say, we're going to introduce next year, and I think that once we have the internet, I don't think phones will be that needed. I think people will be able to communicate with people on the ground through the internet. We've gotten phone in Virgin Atlantic and we find they don't get used that much, but there is enormous demand for internet, and that's why we're rushing ahead for that.

So you think technologies like VoIP that would be enabled by the internet... it seems like somehow people are going to figure out a way to annoy their neighbor next to them by talk loudly on a plane, how do you feel about that?

If somebody really wants to talk to somebody, we might well have a couple of rows at the back where people can go and make a call there. We wouldn't really want to have people talking next to each other, but a place on the plane where people can make a call if they really wanted to, if we had VoIP, then that might be possible.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin