Monday, September 04, 2006

Hullo? Are you really free? Hullo is.. A new IP Telephony service

I was reading an article on Techcrunch, Hullo To Enter VOIP War With Free Product, a well written and in depth article about current lower end voip players in the field. Mainly concentrating on the services and abilities of the HULLO.
I actually read the whole article rather than skimming and ventured out to HULLO site. It is not an easy site to navigate. The front page will make you want to get the product and register.
But I managed to get to the area in the site that had some text. As Techcrunch mentioned services offered are great, and bunch of new services are on the way. I also saw somewhere on the site saying that the service is free! Well I was happy as this was something I was looking for and I really did not want to pay for something that dials phone for me and switches to another when I want to. I am looking to make my phone life easier, not to work harder to pay for the services that make my life easier!!
Anyway I was going through the FAQ, which is also a bit obscure but if you know your way around the web, you will find a tiny little button to click that reveal some text.
One such piece of text made me leave the site, and it read;
How much does it cost to use hullo?
During the beta the service is free. Later, we expect to offer a mix of free and paid services.. So it is not really free and not what I was looking for. I think it will be helpful for HULLO to be a tad more open and truthful. They certainly aren't lying but you have to dig for the truth.
Had they stated the facts upfront, I might have at least tested the product, as it seems to be a fine product.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin